Thursday, June 17, 2010

Reaching Out to an IT Expert

In an effort to contact the experts in the field of Information Literacy to get another view on my course of study, I wrote the following to Sheila Webber at the Department of Information Studies: the iSchool, University of Sheffield, UK

Dr. Webber,


I recently came across your blog while researching current issues involving the Digital Divide for my English course at Brigham Young University. On your post for June 14th, I found a link to a speech you gave on “Information Literacy for the 21st Century” in Prague last month and was interested particularly in your overview of IL in the workplace. You mentioned that the training of ambulance drivers requires a very hands-on approach and first hand experience to gain any real skill (pages 3-4). I was wondering if you could explain how this “hands-on training” relates to a world of digital education. Do you think Information technology simulations present a viable alternative to hands-on interaction? Any thoughts on the one laptop per child initiative in Africa?

I’d love to hear your take if you could manage a few minutes sometime but understand if your busy. In any case, I would like to express my admiration for your work.

Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment